What is a Fugl Meyer Assessment (FMA)?
The , or FMA, is a test practitioners use to assess recovery in post-stroke hemiplegic patients. More specifically, they check the following domains:
- Motor function in both the upper and lower extremities, such as the movement, reflex, and coordination of the shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, hip, knee, and ankle
- Joint range of motion
- Joint pain
The test itself has over 100 items, utilizes a 3-point ordinal scale for scoring, and can take 30 minutes or a maximum of 2 hours to complete. For scoring, the points are as follows per domain:
- 66 points for Motor Function in the Upper Extremity
- 34 points for Motor Function in the Lower Extremity
- 14 points for Balance
- 24 points for Sensation in both the Upper and Lower Extremities
- 44 points for Passive Joint Motion in both the Upper and Lower Extremities
- 44 points for Joint Pain in both the Upper and Lower Extremities
A sum of both motor functions is used to determine the severity of the patient’s case whether that’s slight or severe.
How Does this Fugl Meyer Assessment Work?
Step One. Prepare the Test Environment
Before you begin, ensure you have a place where you can conduct the test without distractions. Ideally, the place must be quiet, spacious, and have the following pieces of equipment:
- A scrap of paper
- Tennis ball
- Cotton ball
- Reflex Hammer
- Optional: Blindfold
Step Two. Access the Template
Once you’ve prepared the test environment, access the template by clicking the “Use Template” or “Download Template” in this guide or search “Fugl-Meyer Assessment” in Carepatron’s template library on the website or app.
Step Three. Conduct the Test
Have a copy of the template? Open it on Carepatron or your local PDF editor and proceed to conduct the test. Instruct your patient verbally or demonstrate each item to replicate to the best of their abilities. It’s recommended that you follow the flow written on the template.
Remember to score them immediately after every item.
Step Four. Calculate the Scores
As soon as you’ve gone through all of the items, you can then calculate the scores. To obtain the total score, simply add the subtotals. For interpretation purposes, utilize the sum of the scores from the Upper and Lower Extremity Motor Function test.
Fugl Meyer Assessment Example (Sample)
Here’s an example of a filled-out Fugl Meyer Assessment for insight on what this assessment should look like when they’ve been completed. For a local copy you can access offline, click the “Download Example PDF” button above.
When to use this Fugl Meyer Assessment Test?
Practitioners who specialize in stroke or care for patients post-stroke know best when to utilize this resource template. However, should you need a reminder or guide, here’s when it’s best to use the Fugl Meyer Assessment Test:
- When you’re in a clinical or research setting related to stroke
- When you need to measure quantitatively the severeness of the impairment of their motor function
- When you’re formulating a treatment plan, and you need a resource to help you pinpoint or identify which area needs intervention
- When you’re only measuring recovery of the motor system and not necessarily if they will be capable of accomplishing functional tasks
- When your patient only has post-stroke hemiplegia
Who is this Fugl Meyer Assessment PDF for?
Any practitioner who designs the treatment plan for post-stroke patients, physicians who accompany their patients during their rehabilitation sessions, and stroke researchers can use a PDF format of this Fugl Meyer Assessment. However, it’s ideal that the following professionals administer the test:
- Trained Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Rehabilitation therapists
If you’re one of the aforementioned practitioners, here’s a list of what to consider before utilizing the template and conducting the test:
- Patients severely affected by the stroke or with aphasia will take longer to complete the test.
- Companions of patients may not be a proxy, nor should they be the source of information because results will turn out unreliable especially given that scoring is heavily dependent on the examiner's observations.
Benefits of the Free Fugl Meyer Assessment
With a test that has over 100 items to test and can take as long as 2 hours to conduct, the Fugl Meyer Assessment is no doubt comprehensive and covers all basis which can prove to be helpful when identifying which areas need further intervention.
Since the majority of this test cannot be altered, making it a standardized format, most practitioners are familiar with the test and its contents. Therefore, understanding the results is much easier for those using it as a resource.
Having a quantitative and objective measurement will make interpretation easier for the practitioners and provide a specific level of severity that will streamline processes and reduce misunderstandings among practitioners.
Given that the test is over 10 pages long, having it fully digital and accessible on any gadget anytime and anywhere will make it easier for the practitioner to carry around and score the test. They won’t have to prepare additional writing materials nor carry several copies of the document should they have to test multiple patients consecutively.
Aside from accessibility, fully digital templates also save money that would’ve been spent on paper, ink, writing materials, and storage of physical copies.
Why use this Fugl Meyer app?
Conducting long, comprehensive tests while delivering stellar patient care on top of accomplishing administrative tasks can feel like a tall order. However, it doesn’t have to be.
If you automate clinical and business processes such as billing, payment, scheduling, and more, all your time and effort can be allotted to focusing on your patient.
Is that possible, you may ask? Yes, it is, with Carepatron.
With Carepatron, a leading practice management software you can download as an app on desktop, iOs, and Andriod, you’ll have free access to the following features that’ll equip you with the tools, means, and resources you need to do tasks efficiently and with ease:
- Over 100 PDF resources such as tests, assessments, forms, and surveys you can download and print or edit digitally.
- A HIPAA-compliant and secure EHR where you can store all your digital notes and billing history as well as your patients’ medical and payment history
- Your favorite scheduling and telehealth software applications integrated into your dashboard
- An automated payment system you can set up for your client.
Have these and more only on Carepatron! Sign up today!