What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Rooted in a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness practices, and Eastern philosophical concepts, Dialectical behavior therapy, or , is a type of evidence-based psychotherapy developed in the 1980s by Marsha M. Linehan.
DBT sessions are conducted in three ways: individual sessions, group therapy, and telephone crisis/phone coaching by therapists with a DBT certification or licensed and experienced mental health professionals.
Examples of these professionals are psychiatrists, psychologists, and psychiatric nurses.
The aforementioned healthcare practitioners use DBT techniques to cure various mental health conditions like bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and eating disorders.
Treatment via DBT sessions aims to teach clients how to accept their desires while creating positive life changes. Specifically, the referring physician seeks to inform, equip, and hone the four skills unique to dialectical behavior therapy in a client. The skills are as follows:
- Mindfulness: Being more aware and accepting of one’s present experiences and thoughts.
- Distress Tolerance: Overcoming challenging times without resorting to self-destructive coping techniques.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Knowing and being firm with one’s feelings to improve relationships.
- Emotional Regulation: Dealing with primary/first emotions before they turn into secondary/other emotions.
How to use the Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet:
Access and Download the Template
To access and download a printable and digital Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet, you may do either of the following:
- Click the “Use Template” or “Download Template” button.
- Search for “Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet” in Carepatron’s template library’s search bar on the website or app.
Explain and Provide Examples
Even if our template has straightforward instructions, it’s best to explain how to answer the sections and even provide concrete examples so they know how to complete the worksheet and be more comfortable using the Repeat Technique. To help you out, we also provided a sample template in this guide you can use.
Fill the Template
Once they understand and are more confident, provide them with a copy of the worksheet and have them answer it. Don’t forget to reassure them that they can contact you if they have any further questions or need any clarification.
Discuss the Answers
When the patient is finished, proceed to discuss the answers with the client in case they need assistance mastering the technique and see if it was effective when they tried it at home.
The worksheet contains sensitive information, so it must be securely stored. Clients who have physical copies must keep them at a secure location. At the same time, those who have a digital copy can store it on Carepatron, a HIPAA-compliant EHR, where the referring physician can limit the document’s accessibility to relevant parties only.
Making a Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet Example
We’ve provided a downloadable PDF copy of a completed “Making a Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet” sample template. Feel free to use this example as a guide or educational resource to help you explain how to answer the worksheet to your clients that will benefit them. However, note that the answers provided in the sample are fictional.
When would you use this Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet?
The Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet can be used by mental health practitioners with a DBT certification or are licensed and experienced, like family therapists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, psychologists, and psychiatrists. It can be used by any type of client who:
- Finds it challenging to get what they need or want from other people.
- Often blames others or gets into arguments.
- Spends time and energy getting other people to change.
- Feels frustrated when the person they’re conversing with isn’t listening or responding to what they are saying.
- Needs help stating what they need or want firmly but calmly.
Aside from these conditions, we’ll leave it up to you and your expertise to decide to whom and at what point in their treatment you will use and give the worksheet.
What are the benefits of using this Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet?
If the client isn’t heard by the person they’re talking to, it can feel defeating in certain situations. They can feel empowered to utilize the strategy to be a more effective communicator by providing them with a solution that they can try.
Positive Habit Forming
Though not explicitly stated, the worksheet, precisely the technique, will help them form positive habits such as being calm, patient, and transparent. Only when they have these skills and other communication-helping skills will the technique have a higher chance of working.
A conversation goes both ways. By being a more effective communicator with the help of the techniques they will learn and apply from the worksheet, they can improve their relationship with the person they’re conversing with.
You can obtain a copy of the Repeat Technique for Effective Communication DBT Worksheet for free and quickly complete it on a PDF editor on any gadget you have on hand and securely store it on Carepatron with limited access to relevant parties only.
Why use Carepatron as your Dialectical Behavior Therapy app?
It’s because licensed and experienced mental health professionals who may be using Dialectical Behavior Therapy in their practice, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists, use Carepatron to be more efficient and productive at work. If they have seen positive results from utilizing Carepatron, you will, too!
For an idea of what you can do with our desktop software and mobile-friendly app, here’s a list of the tasks you can automate and processes you can streamline with the tools and features on the app:
- Patients can independently request appointments.
- Automatically sync approved appointments on your Google/iCal calendar.
- Customize the look and feel of our built-in calendar for organization purposes.
- Send automated reminders to clients of payment dues and upcoming appointments via email or SMS.
Medical Document, Invoice, and Note Creation
- Create records from scratch without having to open a new one.
- Customize, print, and fill out - or have your client fill out - necessary invoices, SOAP notes, or medical documents from our template library, which has over 1000 medically relevant templates.
Client Information and Essential Records Storage
- Input client information in the provided patient portal for easy and quick access when needed.
- Upload essential records to be securely stored in our HIPAA-compliant EHR.
- Offer more accessible payment options.
- Quickly process payments.
These are only a few things you can do on Carepatron. Don’t miss out on the chance to improve the caliber of your practice. Sign up for an account on Carepatron today!