In today's fast-paced world, the demand for accessible and effective mental health resources is higher than ever. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), a proven treatment approach for various mental health conditions, has gained significant popularity. DBT enhances emotional regulation, interpersonal effectiveness, distress tolerance, and mindfulness skills.
To cater to the growing need for convenient therapy options, developers have created a range of DBT apps that bring therapy to your fingertips. These apps provide a convenient and private way to access DBT techniques, guidance, and support, making therapy more accessible to those who may not have easy access to traditional therapy settings.
This article presents the nine best DBT apps in 2023 that offer innovative features and proven effectiveness. Whether seeking to manage anxiety, improve relationships, cope with intense emotions, or enhance mindfulness, these apps provide a valuable resource.
Each app on our list offers unique features, including guided lessons, diary cards, skills coaching, mindfulness exercises, progress tracking, and peer support. With user-friendly interfaces and customizable options, these apps empower individuals to take charge of their mental well-being and develop effective coping strategies.
Take advantage of the opportunity to harness the power of DBT through these cutting-edge apps. Explore our comprehensive guide and discover the right DBT app to support your mental health journey.
What Should You Look for in App for DBT?
When selecting a DBT app, you must consider various factors to ensure you choose the right one that aligns with your therapy goals and preferences. Here are some key aspects to look for in an app for DBT:
Comprehensive DBT Skills:
A good DBT app should offer a comprehensive range of skills based on the four modules of DBT: mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness. Look for apps that provide detailed explanations and practical exercises for each skill.
The app should have a user-friendly and intuitive interface, making navigating and accessing the features easy. A clean, organized layout enhances usability and provides a seamless app experience.
Guided Lessons and Explanations:
Look for an app that offers guided lessons and explanations of DBT skills. These lessons can help you understand the concepts better and provide step-by-step guidance on implementing the skills in real-life situations.
Diary Cards and Tracking:
Effective tracking is crucial in DBT. A good app should have a feature that allows you to track your emotions, behaviors, and skill usage. Diary cards can help you monitor your progress, identify patterns, and adjust your therapeutic journey.
Skills Coaching and Reminders:
Some apps offer skills coaching through reminders and prompts. These reminders can help you practice DBT skills regularly and reinforce their integration into your daily life. Look for apps that customize reminders according to your schedule and preferences.
Mindfulness is a fundamental aspect of DBT. An app with built-in mindfulness exercises can guide you through meditation, breathing techniques, and grounding exercises to enhance your mindfulness practice.
Progress and Goal Tracking:
It's crucial to monitor your progress and set goals during therapy. Look for an app that allows you to track your progress, set goals, and review your achievements over time. This feature can help you stay motivated and see the positive changes you're making.
Peer Support and Community:
Connecting with others who are on a similar journey can be incredibly beneficial. Some DBT apps offer community features that allow you to connect with peers, share experiences, seek support, and celebrate milestones together.
Privacy and Security:
Considering these factors, you can find a DBT app that effectively suits your needs and supports your therapy journey. Everyone's preferences and requirements are unique, so explore different apps, read user reviews, and choose the one that resonates most with you.
The 9 Best DBT Apps Available in 2023
Users can get a variety of mental health treatments using the therapist app Carepatron. It is intended to simplify connecting people with licensed therapists and enable them to obtain the assistance they require from the convenience of their homes.
Carepatron Best Features
- The platform that is simple to use: Users may easily explore Carepatron's platform. Users may easily discover what they need because of its clear and user-friendly interface.
- Users of Carepatron have access to licensed therapists who are prepared to offer assistance and direction for a range of mental health issues.
- Services available: The app provides a range of services, such as video calls, messaging, and phone consultations. Users can select the service that best suits their needs.
- Carepatron has limitations regarding integration, mobile application features, and telehealth functionalities. Integration may be challenging for practices already using specific third-party software as limited alternatives exist. This could require additional steps to ensure compatibility with Carepatron.
- The mobile application version of Carepatron may offer only some of the features found in the desktop version. Some features may only be accessible through the desktop version, limiting the user experience for those who prefer mobile devices.
- For practices or individuals requiring telehealth options for remote consultations, Carepatron may not be the best choice. It lacks integrated telehealth functionalities, which may be a limitation for those who rely on telehealth as part of their mental health treatment.
- Free Plan: Access basic features for free
- Pro Plan: $12 per user/month
- Organization Plan: $19 per user/month
- Capterra: 4.5/5 stars based on 69 reviews
- G2: Not available
DBT Coach, developed by Behavioral Tech, is a comprehensive DBT app that provides users with various skills and resources for managing emotions, improving relationships, and coping with distress. It offers guided lessons, diary cards, coaching features, and an extensive reference library. DBT Coach aims to empower individuals by directly bringing DBT techniques and support to their mobile devices, making therapy more accessible and convenient.
DBT Coach Best Features
- Extensive DBT Skills: DBT Coach offers a wide range of DBT skills from all four modules, including mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness. Users can access detailed explanations and practical exercises for each skill.
- Guided Lessons: The app provides lessons that help users effectively understand and apply DBT skills. These lessons offer step-by-step instructions and examples for implementing skills in real-life situations.
- Diary Cards and Progress Tracking: DBT Coach allows users to track their emotions, behaviors, and skill usage through digital diary cards. This feature enables users to monitor their progress, identify patterns, and review their therapeutic journey over time.
- Coaching Support: The app offers coaching features where users can receive support and guidance from experienced DBT professionals. This feature provides personalized assistance and helps users stay motivated in their therapy.
- Reference Library: DBT Coach includes an extensive reference library as a valuable resource for understanding and reinforcing DBT concepts. It offers additional information, tips, and techniques to enhance the user's learning experience.
DBT Coach Limitations
- Requires Self-Motivation: DBT Coach relies on the user's initiative and commitment to engage with the app's features actively. It may not be suitable for individuals who need more consistent self-motivation.
- Limited Personalization: While the app offers a range of skills and exercises, it may not cater to every individual's specific needs or therapeutic goals. Customization options for tailored experiences are limited.
- Lack of Real-Time Interaction: As an app, DBT Coach must provide real-time interaction with a therapist or peers, which may be a limitation for individuals who prefer more immediate and direct support.
DBT Coach Pricing
- $59.99 every six months (discounted price)
DBT Coach Reviews
- No reviews from Capterra or G2
MoodTools is a mental health app to help individuals manage depression and mood disorders. It incorporates evidence-based strategies, including elements of DBT, to provide users with a range of tools for improving their emotional well-being. The app offers features such as thought challenging, relaxation exercises, mood tracking, and educational resources, all aimed at assisting users in understanding and coping with their emotions more effectively.
MoodTools Best Features
- Thought Challenging: MoodTools provides tools and exercises to challenge negative thoughts and cognitive distortions, promoting more balanced and rational thinking patterns.
- Relaxation Exercises: The app offers a variety of relaxation techniques, including guided meditation, deep breathing exercises, and progressive muscle relaxation, helping users reduce stress and achieve a state of calm.
- Mood Tracking: MoodTools enables users to track their mood fluctuations over time. By recording their emotions, individuals can identify patterns and gain insight into the factors influencing their mental well-being.
- Psychoeducation Resources: The app includes informative resources that educate users about depression, mood disorders, and evidence-based therapeutic approaches. This feature empowers users with knowledge and understanding of their condition.
- Safety Planning: MoodTools provides a safety planning feature to help individuals create personalized plans in times of crisis. This feature assists users in developing strategies for managing difficult situations and accessing appropriate support.
- Focus on Depression and Mood Disorders: While MoodTools excels in addressing depression and mood disorders, it may be less comprehensive for individuals seeking support for other mental health conditions or therapeutic goals.
- Limited Customization: The app offers fixed features and exercises, limiting customization options based on individual preferences or specific therapy requirements.
- Lack of Real-Time Support: MoodTools does not provide real-time interaction with mental health professionals or a community support feature, which may be a limitation for those seeking immediate or personalized guidance.
- This app's essential features can be used for free in their entirety. The Pro Mode membership includes export, Cloud Sync, and Passcode Protection capabilities, an optional purchase.
- Pro Mode is available in two auto-renewing subscription packages for $4.99 monthly or $29.99 annually.
- No reviews from Capterra or G2 yet
Calm Harm is a unique mental health app designed to address self-harm behaviors. It offers a variety of DBT-informed techniques and activities to support individuals in managing distress and finding healthier coping strategies. The app provides a safe and confidential space for users to explore alternative ways of dealing with difficult emotions and urges, fostering a sense of empowerment and self-care.
Calm Harm Best Features
- Distraction Activities: Calm Harm offers a range of engaging distraction activities, such as puzzles, games, and breathing exercises, to divert attention from self-harm urges and redirect focus onto healthier outlets.
- Relaxation Exercises: The app includes relaxation techniques like guided imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, and deep breathing exercises, providing users with tools to calm their minds and bodies in moments of distress.
- Positive Affirmations: Calm Harm incorporates positive affirmations to uplift and motivates users. These affirmations can help shift negative thought patterns and promote self-compassion and resilience.
- Safety Resources: The app includes safety resources, such as emergency contact information, helpline numbers, and personal support network features, ensuring individuals have immediate access to help when needed.
- Personalized Coping Strategies: Calm Harm allows users to create customized coping strategies within the app. This feature enables individuals to tailor their self-help toolkit based on their unique needs and preferences.
Calm Harm Limitations
- Specific Focus: Calm Harm is designed to address self-harm behaviors, which means it may not be as comprehensive or suitable for individuals seeking support for other mental health conditions or therapeutic goals.
- Lack of Real-Time Support: The app does not provide real-time interaction with mental health professionals or a peer support community, limiting immediate personalized guidance or connection with others.
- Limited Customization: While users can personalize their coping strategies within the app, the range of activities and resources offered may still be limited, potentially requiring additional external resources for a more diverse toolkit.
Calm Harm Pricing
- Calm Harm is a free app that enables you to "ride the wave" of the temptation to harm yourself because this is the time when the urge is at its strongest.
Calm Harm Reviews
- Reviews from Capterra and G2 have yet to be made available.
Pacifica is a mental health app that combines cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and DBT approaches to help individuals manage stress, anxiety, and depression. It offers a comprehensive set of tools and resources to support users in improving their emotional well-being. With features like mood tracking, guided meditation, thought journaling, and goal setting, Pacifica aims to empower individuals to take control of their mental health and build positive habits for a more balanced life.
Pacifica Best Features
- Mood Tracking: Pacifica allows users to track their moods and emotions over time, enabling them to identify patterns, triggers, and progress in their mental health journey.
- Guided Meditations: The app offers a wide variety of guided meditations, mindfulness exercises, and deep breathing techniques to help individuals relax, reduce anxiety, and promote overall well-being.
- Thought Journaling: Pacifica provides a thought journaling feature that allows users to record and challenge their negative thoughts and cognitive distortions, fostering more balanced thinking patterns.
- Goal Setting: The app enables users to set personal goals for their mental health and well-being. Individuals can track their progress and celebrate accomplishments by breaking down goals into achievable steps.
- Daily Challenges and Experiments: Pacifica offers daily challenges and experiments encouraging users to step out of their comfort zones and try new personal growth and resilience techniques.
- Focus on Specific Conditions: While Pacifica addresses stress, anxiety, and depression effectively, its content may be less tailored to individuals with other mental health conditions or those seeking support for different therapeutic goals.
- In-App Purchases: Some advanced features and exercises in Pacifica require a subscription or in-app purchases, limiting access to a complete range of resources for free users.
- Personalization Constraints: Although Pacifica provides a range of features, customization options for tailoring the app experience based on individual preferences or specific therapy requirements are limited.
- $49.00 per month (Flat Rate)
- It has a free trial
- $49/month or $499/year for the first user, discounts for additional users
- There are no reviews from G2 or Capterra yet
Stop, Breathe & Think
Stop, Breathe & Think is a mindfulness and meditation app incorporating DBT techniques to support emotional well-being. It offers a personalized approach to mindfulness by providing tailored recommendations based on the user's current emotional state. The app guides users through meditation practices, breathing exercises, and self-reflection activities to promote relaxation, reduce stress, and enhance overall mental clarity.
Stop, Breathe & Think Best Features
- Personalized Recommendations: Stop, Breathe & Think provides customized meditation and mindfulness recommendations based on the user's emotional state, allowing individuals to effectively address specific needs and challenges.
- Mindfulness and Meditation Practices: The app offers a wide range of guided mindfulness and meditation practices, including breathing exercises, body scans, loving-kindness meditation, and more, to cultivate present-moment awareness and promote inner calm.
- Progress Tracking and Goal Setting: Users can track their meditation progress, set goals, and celebrate milestones within the app. This feature encourages consistent practice and provides a sense of achievement.
- Reflection and Journaling: Stop, Breathe & Think includes reflection and journaling prompts to foster self-awareness and encourage users to explore their thoughts, emotions, and personal growth throughout their mindfulness journey.
- Check-in Feature: The app allows users to check in with their emotions and physical sensations, enabling them to understand their well-being better and cultivate self-care practices.
Stop, Breathe & Think Limitations
- Focus on Mindfulness: While Stop, Breathe & Think excels in mindfulness practices, it may have limited resources or support for individuals seeking specific DBT skills or interventions for specific mental health conditions.
- Limited Free Content: While the app offers a free version with access to some features, access to a broader range of guided meditations and activities may require a subscription.
- Limited Social Interaction: Stop, Breathe & Think does not provide a community or social interaction feature within the app, which may be a limitation for individuals seeking connection or support from a mindfulness community.
Stop, Breathe & Think Pricing
- Stop, Breathe & Think is a free mindfulness and meditation software that promotes the growth of healthy mental habits in children and adults.
Stop, Breathe & Think Reviews
- G2 and Capterra reviews have yet to be made available.
DBT Path is a comprehensive DBT-focused app designed to support individuals in their journey of practicing Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills. It provides a structured and user-friendly platform with modules and resources for learning and implementing DBT techniques. The app covers core areas of DBT, such as mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness, offering interactive exercises, educational materials, and tracking features to enhance the user's understanding and application of DBT skills.
DBT Path Best Features
- DBT Modules: DBT Path offers modules dedicated to different DBT skill sets, allowing users to learn and practice mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness techniques.
- Interactive Exercises: The app provides interactive exercises and activities, such as guided mindfulness practices, emotion tracking, behavior analysis, and behavior chain analysis, to facilitate the application of DBT skills in real-life situations.
- Educational Resources: DBT Path offers educational resources, including videos, articles, and worksheets, that provide in-depth information about DBT concepts, strategies, and practical tips for integrating DBT into daily life.
- Skill Tracking and Journaling: Users can track their progress and practice of DBT skills through the app's skill tracking and journaling features, enabling self-reflection, goal setting, and monitoring of skill development over time.
- Community Support: DBT Path includes a community feature where users can connect with others, share experiences, and provide mutual support on their DBT journey. This fosters a sense of belonging and facilitates learning from others.
DBT Path Limitations
- DBT-Specific Focus: DBT Path primarily focuses on DBT skills and may not provide as much coverage or support for individuals seeking help with other mental health conditions or therapeutic approaches.
- Limited Free Content: While the app offers some free content, access to the full range of modules, exercises, and resources may require a subscription or in-app purchases.
- Personalization Constraints: The app provides a structured DBT curriculum, which may limit customization options based on individual preferences or specific therapeutic needs.
DBT Path Pricing
- The DBT Path app is a free weekly 60-minute online DBT class, entirely online.
DBT Path Reviews
- DBT Path Reviews from G2 or Capterra are not yet available.
Youper is an AI-powered emotional health assistant that integrates elements of DBT and CBT to provide personalized support for managing emotions, anxiety, and depression. The app utilizes natural language processing and machine learning to engage in user conversations, offering insights, guidance, and evidence-based techniques. With its user-friendly interface and intelligent algorithms, Youper aims to help individuals develop self-awareness, enhance emotional well-being, and build resilience.
Youper Best Features
- Conversational AI: Youper's conversational AI interface creates a virtual conversation where users can express their emotions and receive real-time support, guidance, and personalized suggestions for managing their mental health.
- Mood Tracking and Insights: The app allows users to track their moods, identify emotional patterns, and gain insights into their emotional well-being. This feature promotes self-awareness and empowers individuals to make informed decisions about their mental health.
- Cognitive Behavioral Techniques: Youper incorporates evidence-based techniques from CBT and DBT, offering guided activities and exercises to help users challenge negative thinking patterns, develop coping strategies, and improve emotional regulation skills.
- Journaling and Reflection: Youper includes journaling prompts and reflection exercises to facilitate self-reflection, enhance self-discovery, and promote emotional processing. Users can record their thoughts, experiences, and progress within the app.
- Daily Check-ins and Self-Care Reminders: The app encourages regular check-ins with users' emotions and well-being, providing reminders for self-care activities and helping individuals prioritize their mental health throughout the day.
- Reliance on Technology: While Youper's AI interface is designed to provide support, some individuals may prefer or benefit from direct human interaction or personalized guidance from mental health professionals.
- Limited External Resources: Youper primarily relies on its internal resources and techniques, which may only encompass part of the DBT interventions or provide access to external resources for a more comprehensive approach.
- Language and Cultural Sensitivity: The app's AI capabilities may only partially account for individual cultural nuances or diverse experiences, potentially impacting the effectiveness and relatability of the support provided.
- Medication management, teletherapy, behavior counseling, and all artificial intelligence are part of Youper's treatment strategy. This plan has a $55 weekly price and is invoiced monthly.
- There are no reviews from Capterra or G2 yet.
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach is a mobile app for individuals practicing Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). It provides a digital diary card to track emotions, behaviors, and skills used, helping users gain insights into their progress and identify areas for growth. The app also offers a comprehensive library of DBT skills with step-by-step instructions and examples, empowering individuals to enhance emotional regulation, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, and mindfulness skills.
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach Best Features
- Digital Diary Card: The app allows users to digitally track their emotions, behaviors, and skill utilization, providing a convenient and organized way to monitor progress and identify patterns in their DBT journey.
- Extensive DBT Skills Library: DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach offers a comprehensive library of DBT skills, including explanations, instructions, and real-life examples, enabling users to learn and apply various techniques to manage emotions, navigate relationships, and cope with distress effectively.
- Skill Coaching: The app provides coaching and reminders to help users practice DBT skills consistently. It offers prompts, suggestions, and reminders to apply skills in real-time situations, enhancing the integration of DBT skills into daily life.
- Progress and Insights: Users can view their progress over time through visual graphs and charts, gaining valuable insights into their DBT journey. This feature allows for self-reflection, goal setting, and monitoring of skill development.
- Customization Options: DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach allows users to customize their diary card and skill lists, tailoring the app to their specific needs and preferences. This flexibility enhances the individualized experience and fosters personal growth.
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach Limitations
- Limited Interactivity: While the app provides resources and tools for tracking and learning DBT skills, it may need more interactivity or direct engagement with users than live therapy sessions or interactive coaching.
- Self-Guided Approach: DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach is primarily designed for individuals familiar with DBT concepts and techniques. It may provide a different level of guidance or support than working with a qualified DBT therapist.
- Lack of Live Support: The app does not offer real-time support or direct communication with a professional therapist or coach, which may be a limitation for individuals seeking immediate guidance or personalized feedback.
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach Pricing
- $4.99 monthly
DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach Reviews
- There are no reviews from Capterra or G2 yet
DBT Self-Help is a mobile app designed to provide support and resources for individuals practicing Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). The app offers a range of DBT skills, including mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness, through informative articles, guided exercises, and practical tips. With its user-friendly interface and comprehensive content, DBT Self-Help aims to empower individuals to incorporate DBT techniques into their daily lives and enhance their emotional well-being.
DBT Self-Help Best Features
- DBT Skill Modules: The app offers modules dedicated to each core area of DBT, providing detailed information, examples, and exercises to help users learn and apply skills for mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Guided Exercises: DBT Self-Help provides guided exercises and activities to facilitate the practice of DBT skills, including mindfulness meditation, grounding techniques, emotion regulation strategies, and practical communication exercises.
- Practical Tips and Tools: The app offers valuable tips, suggestions, and tools that individuals can utilize in their daily lives to apply DBT skills in real-life situations, fostering personaDeliveringh and emotional resilience.
- Educational Resources: DBT Self-Help provides informative articles and resources that delve into DBT concepts, techniques, and strategies, offering a deeper understanding of the principl practical applications of DBT.
- Progress Tracking: The app includes features that allow users to track their progress and monitor their skill development over time. This helps individuals gain insights into their growth and motivates them to continue practicing DBT skills.
DBT Self-Help Limitations
- Lack of Personalization: DBT Self-Help offers a general approach to DBT and may need to provide more personalized guidance or tailored recommendations based on individual needs or preferences.
- Limited Interactivity: The app primarily focuses on providing information and resources, lacking the interactive and dynamic engagement that can be obtained through direct interaction with a DBT therapist or group.
- Self-Guided Approach: DBT Self-Help is designed for self-guided use and may not replace the benefits of receiving professional DBT therapy or guidance from a qualified DBT practitioner.
DBT Self-Help Pricing
- DBTSelfHelp.com is committed to remaining a free resource. To ensure the ongoing maintenance of the site, there is an opportunity to contribute and support DBTSelfHelp.com. Any profits or donations received will be used exclusively to cover operating expenses and maintain the site's free accessibility.
DBT Self-Help Reviews
- Reviews from Capterra or G2 have yet to be made available.
Deliver better DBT Therapy from anywhere with Carepatron
Carepatron is the ultimate solution for delivering effective Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) from anywhere, making it the best option for practitioners and clients alike. With Carepatron, therapists can provide comprehensive DBT therapy remotely, ensuring continuity of care and accessibility for individuals seeking treatment.
Carepatron offers a robust set of features designed specifically for DBT therapy. Therapists can create customized treatment plans, track progress, and monitor client activities, all within a secure and user-friendly platform. The app supports individual and group therapy sessions, facilitates real-time communication, and provides tools for skill building, emotion tracking, and diary card management.
What sets Carepatron apart is its emphasis on collaboration and engagement. Therapists and clients can interact through secure messaging, video calls, and shared resources, fostering a strong therapeutic alliance. Carepatron's innovative features, such as in-app reminders, journaling prompts, and skill reinforcement, ensure that clients stay engaged and motivated throughout their DBT journey.
Ready to revolutionize your DBT practice? Sign up for Carepatron today and experience the power of delivering better DBT therapy from anywhere. Take advantage of its advanced features and positively impact your clients' lives.