What ICD-10 Codes Are Used for Osteoarthritis?Which Osteoarthritis ICD Codes Are Billable?Clinical InformationSynonyms IncludeFAQS
What ICD-10 Codes Are Used for Osteoarthritis?
Here are some of the commonly used ICD-10 codes for osteoarthritis:
- M15.0: Primary generalized (osteo)arthritis. This code is used for osteoarthritis that affects most joints.
- M16.9: Osteoarthritis of hip, unspecified. This is used when osteoarthritis affects the hip but is not otherwise specified.
- M17.9: Osteoarthritis of knee, unspecified. This is for cases where the knee is concerned but not otherwise specified.
- M18.9: Osteoarthritis of first carpometacarpal joint, unspecified. Used when this specific joint is affected.
- M19.011: Primary osteoarthritis, right shoulder. Used to code osteoarthritis that first affects the right shoulder.
- M19.90: Osteoarthritis, unspecified site. Used for unknown cases of osteoarthritis.
Which Osteoarthritis ICD Codes Are Billable?
The ICD-10-CM codes for Osteoarthritis listed above are all billable:
- M15.0: Yes, it's billable as it indicates a generalized condition.
- M16.9: Yes, it's billable, despite the unspecificity, as the location is identified.
- M17.9: Yes, it's billable, despite the lack of specification, because it defines the location.
- M18.9: Yes, it's billable, as it specifies the affected joint.
- M19.011: Yes, it's billable because it provides the exact location of primary osteoarthritis.
- M19.90: Yes, it is billable as it can be used in unspecified cases.
Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common joint disorder. The critical clinical information includes:
- OA is primarily a cartilage disease and leads to the gradual wearing down of joint surfaces.
- The most commonly affected areas are the knees, hips, hands, and spine.
- Symptoms may include joint pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
- Treatments focus on pain management and improving joint function.
- Degenerative joint disease
- Hypertrophic osteoarthritis
Is osteoarthritis common in young adults?
Can the severity of osteoarthritis be identified using ICD-10 codes?
Is osteoarthritis curable?