Are you looking for some fantastic Simplepractice alternatives?
Let's give Simplepractice credit where it's due; it has been a trailblazer in practice management.
And their leader, namely Howard Spector, has been vocal in redefining how practices work and moving the sector towards Telehealth services.
But back to Simplepractice, the product.
Even though it's well-established and has been around for several years, it may no longer be the correct practice management or health management software for you.
In this article, we'll discuss some of its key features and take a look at the top ten Simplepractice alternatives in 2023, along with their feature set, pros, cons, and pricing.
Let's get going!
So Why Look For A Simplepractice Alternative?
We can hear the question already: If Simplepractice does the job, why look for an alternative at all?
We couldn't have said it any better!
Simplepractice is integrated with the following features:
- Client records and information management
- Invoicing and billing
- Appointment scheduling
- Client portal
- Clinical documentation
No one's here to discredit it or the work, their excellent team, does to provide their professional service.
A competitive market drives innovation, and as handy as Simplepractice can be, the market has brought some tough competition through tools like Carepatron, Theranest, TherapyNotes, and Kareo.
Founded in 2011, Simplepractice has been around for a while.
Yeah, that was ten years ago. 🗿
There's nothing wrong with older software, but adaptability is a must, and Simplepractice has been a bit sluggish on updating its tool for modern private practice users.
For example, Simplepractice still has a very basic billing and payment system with limited integrations.
Simplepractice was designed and built using older software architecture and frameworks, making it a bit slow and clunky at times.
Why haven't we seen Simplepractice improve much over the last few years?
It isn't easy to understand why the Simplepractice team has not been able to keep up with innovation across the market. As technology becomes older, it becomes more challenging to improve and adapt with more software debt and data legacy.
Another critical advantage an alternative might bring is a cheaper paid plan. At $59 a month per practitioner, the Simplepractice's isn't exactly easy on your wallet. Plus, they have a bunch of add-ons that make average healthcare practitioners' actual costs much higher.
Do you need to pay this much? Why break the bank when you can have all the features you need for less (or even nothing at all)?
With Carepatron, you use the entire platform, yes, all features and unlimited users, for $0 a month!
Note: You can import your Simplepractice data to Carepatron with a CSV file! We also support this process with a fantastic onboarding service for free.
Features Of The Ideal Simplepractice Alternative
Choosing an alternative to Simplepractice for your independent practice needs will mean keeping some of the features that Simplepractice gets right. An intelligent competitor learns from Simplepractice's successes while improving on them and adding innovations of their own.
Some of the ways in which an alternative practice management system can out-perform Simplepractice includes:
- Looking into intuitive interfaces and a convenient mobile app
- Affordable pricing
- Fewer add-on costs
- Software that improves weekly
- Enhanced billing features
- Voice-to-text transcription
Avoiding archaic design, adding essential features, and sticking to our mission has allowed Carepatron to thrive in a highly demanding market.
Do we expect too much from a single practice management tool?
We don't think so; let's check out these top ten Simplepractice alternatives!
Top 10 Simplepractice Alternatives
Here are the ten best alternatives to Simplepractice that'll make you leave that Simplepractice behind on your journey to practice management success. ⛰
Carepatron is the world's leading all-in-one practice management tool.
From providing you with client management to supercharging your business's productivity, Carepatron is the ultimate practice management solution.
Carepatron key features
At the start of mentioning the features of Carepatron, include top customer reviews if possible
“Carepatron is my go-to practice management software. It's super intuitive to use, and the customer support is fantastic! I love their online payments and reminder automation.” Jane W, Therapist.
“We can engage our clients and access notes anytime, anywhere. I find the medical scheduling tool easy to use while in a session or on the go. I would highly recommend it to any clinician.” Micheal D, Psychotherapist.
Here are just a few reasons why Carepatron is a great Simplepractice alternative:
Why else is Carepatron a leading Simple Practice alternative?
Most practice management platforms have simple scheduling tools. But that is not enough in 2023. We have a complete end-to-end workflow tool, including assigning tasks to your team or clients, and setting reminders, so you never miss those critical moments again!
Lots of practices use this software to provide their clients with a more immersive experience.
Here are some of Carepatron's powerful workflow tools:
- Client appointments: Enjoy the best client appointment software in the world.
- Tasks: Share and manage tasks.
- Reminder: Set reminders, so you never miss those crucial moments again.
- Auto reminders: A built-in reminder service removes the risk of DNA and stress from your shoulders.
- Team meeting: Organize all of your sessions in one place. Whether it's with your team or professional network, bring it all together in one place.
You can send as many reminders as you want, with none of those limits or add-on costs.
Go ahead and create an appointment today with Carepatron 😉.
Capture Client relationships directly within their profile. This means you will have a simple way to link your clients with their key support people, whether they be their parents, partner, or another health provider.
When you manage the gold within your Client's community, you supercharge your practice's growth while providing a better client experience.
- Free version with unlimited users and all features.
- Simple, user-friendly interface.
- Unlimited 24/7 support.
- Powerful note and clinical report software.
- Unlimited client and practice contacts.
- Client relationship capability.
- World's best billing and online payments.
- HIPAA compliant and certified.
Carepatron has a powerful free plan for unlimited users with paid versions starting at just $15 per user/month.
9 Other Alternatives to SimplePractice
We want to give TherapyNotes some love for their robust but straightforward practice management and billing software for mental health professionals.
They have several plans for solo or medium size mental health providers.
If your Private practice team is looking for a traditional style of practice management software and only needs some of the core features, you might want to investigate Therapy Notes.
The other side to consider?
Therapy notes may be intimidating for the average user. The design is a bit outdated, with several features being somewhat hard and confusing to use.
Many healthcare providers also consider Therapy notes to be pretty expensive for a basic platform. It also has several additional fees, which can add up quickly.
Therapy Notes pros
- A good basic set of features.
- Focus on mental health providers.
- They have been around for a while.
- Good customer support.
Therapy Notes cons
- It's expensive for what you get.
- Additional charges don't feel great and can add up very quickly.
- Product improvements are slow.
My Clients Plus
My Clients Plus is an excellent Simplepractice alternative, especially for mental and behavioral health teams that want more specialized practice management software.
It embraces the mentality of digitizing a paper-based workflow, which has lots of things you need to click.
My Clients Plus is a solid practice tool that will offer you more traditional practice management capabilities than Simplepractice.
This software has a slightly more modern feel, still with a somewhat traditional capability and tools.
The interface and user experience are robust; however, it can feel more complicated than necessary.
TheraNest is excellent for any mental health team but might add more value to a large provider who requires comprehensive business management features.
- Good visual design and experience.
- Comprehensive tools for large organizations.
- Includes E-Prescribe.
- It feels a bit hard to use and quite complicated to learn. 👩💻
- Very expensive over time as your needs grow.
- It does not deliver much time saving over paper-based processes.
Another popular Simplepractice competitor, Kareo, is probably the largest and most dominant PMS in the market, with a full suite of features that rival everything found in Simplepractice.
Kareo primarily focuses on large medical and GP practices, offering a complicated library of software tools that reflects their medical clients' needs. It also has a range of paid plans for large healthcare companies. Unfortunately, all of these features come at an insanely high cost which is out of reach for most small private practices.
Due to the complex nature of this product, there is often cost and complexity in implementation. Many users tell us it required several teams to make implementation work.
- They are a reputational brand. They have been in the market for ages.
- Offer an extensive range of software tools.
- They focus on large medical clients.
- They are extremely expensive in my opinion. How do practices afford $300 per user each month?
- They are complex to learn and use.
- Better suited to large organizations.
Cliniko is a great Simplepractice alternative for Practice Managers looking for something easy, well-designed, and functional.
Cliniko platform mainly focuses on the Australian and European markets. This can make it challenging to use in the United States as the language, flow, and billing may not work for you.
Unlike Simplepractice, Cliniko focuses on administrative users rather than the clinician. This can make it a bit tricky, with tools adding value to a practice's admin workflow.
- The support team has a good reputation.
- They are well priced.
- Have a robust feature set.
- Handy reporting and tracking.
- Great user reviews.
- Their software is not that suited to US-based independent practices.
- They are focused on admin users. This may not work for practices that want their clinical staff to work within the software.
- No task management.
Power Diary is a Simplepractice alternative that lets teams have an unlimited number of clients, irrespective of the pricing plan.
But with this great power comes a complicated and unclear pricing plan. 💲
The pricing plan includes several short-term discounts for signing up; however, it is challenging to understand the ongoing cost.
Powerdiary is more focused on the Asia Pacific region, so many of the integrations and features are not relevant for US users.
- Comprehensive feature set.
- The short-term discounts can be helpful.
- They have excellent support teams.
- SMS appointment reminders.
- Lack of pricing transparency.
- Not built for larger teams.
- Many of the features and integrations are not relevant for US users.
Microsoft Office or Google Workplace
We know hundreds of private practices that hack Google drive or Onedrive into a stripped-down local management system.
For example, Practitioners create a folder for each Client, saving all documentation into this workspace. They then use Onenote or Sheet to capture their clinical notes chronologically.
They often password-protect each folder, creating some protection and security. 🧐
Unfortunately, this solution comes with some pronounced issues. We will cover these in more detail below.
Microsoft Office or G Suite key features
- Note and templates
- Client records
- Video conferencing
Microsoft Office or Google workspace pros
- Typically utilizes software that you are already using.
- Simple to use (did you see what I did there?).
- Free intake forms.
Microsoft Office or Google workspace cons
- It is very time-consuming to manage your practice in this way.
- There are critical security and privacy issues.
- This approach will not grow with your practice.
Microsoft Office or G Suite pricing
Connect with either platform for their pricing plans.
Is there any problem Excel can't solve? The answer is no; there is not!
Excel, of course, is not a health management system; however, there are thousands of healthcare professionals who use this as a CRM tool.
So how do they do it?
Create a new excel worksheet, and put the categories of information you need within the columns across the top.
Then it is as easy as populating these columns with your Client's details, then updating them after each session.
But why Excel 💰 Can't I get all of the same functionality and more for free with Carepatron?
Excel key features
- Free or low cost.
- You probably already know how to use it.
- Massive potential for security and privacy issues.
- Only a short-term solution, but it works (somewhat).
- Very time-consuming to use.
- Unlikely to meet your compliance requirements.
- Potential for lost client records or information.
This data management app has a free plan, and paid plans start at $9.99 /per user per month.
Paper-based clinical workflow
Here we go, back to where it all started. 😵
The paper-based workflow has existed since the start of healthcare: this approach utilizes paper forms, templates, and documentation to capture unstructured or less-structured free text.
It will probably surprise many healthcare professionals (or not) that large parts of our global healthcare systems still run from this approach. Most countries have now digitized or are rapidly digitizing their healthcare system.
Unfortunately, this approach has too many drawbacks to listing them all, but I will do my best to list them below.
- Utilize unlimited versions of free online templates.
- No or low-cost implementation.
- It does not require any hardware or internet access.
- Requires a significant amount of time and resources. Forever!
- Low security and privacy.
- Difficult to onboard new staff.
- Unlikely to meet compliance requirements.
Your staff time is the most valuable resource. The cost of this approach is unlimited!
Leaving Simplepractice For Good ⛺
There's no doubt that Simplepractice changed practice management, healthcare delivery, and team collaboration for the better.
But, things evolve, and new technologies and perspectives emerge.
What may have worked in the past for private practices may no longer be relevant, and it could be time to choose a new alternative to Simplepractice.
Open that door of opportunity and see why Carepatron is the highest-rated practice management software!
Leave Simplepractice behind and get Carepatron for free to scale new heights!
Interested in more comparisons? Check out the following resources:
- Best Power Diary alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Cliniko alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Theranest alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Counsol alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Therapy Notes alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Nookal alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best My Clients Plus alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Halaxy alternatives (features and pricing)