Popularized by the COVID pandemic, Zoom has quickly solidified its name within the healthcare community as a valuable alternative to in-person appointments. Practitioners can develop meaningful relationships with patients from the comfort of their homes, and run successful online healthcare practices without fuss.
However, while there are many benefits to Zoom’s services, it’s important to recognize that it may not be the best option for you and your clinical needs. While Zoom is great for connecting with patients remotely, it fails to tick many boxes when it comes to managing health information and adopting practice management software that works.
Fortunately, we’re here to help! To learn more about your options when it comes to health software alternatives, including telehealth, we’ve collated important research to help you make more informed decisions.
What is Zoom for Healthcare?
Zoom is a highly reputable video conferencing platform, where you can connect with clients from any place in the world, and build meaningful connections. Regardless of the size of your business, Zoom works to elevate the quality of online appointments and can help boost client satisfaction in your practice.
Zoom is a sophisticated tool used by thousands of businesses, and integrates many valuable features, including:
- Virtual meetings
- Scheduled meetings
- Team chat channels
- Zoom phone system
- Online whiteboard
- Live Streaming
Zoom offers a basic plan with limited features, a pro version for $14.99 per month per user, a business plan for $19.99 per month per user, and an Enterprise plan also at $19.99 per month per user.
Zoom for Healthcare Benefits vs Limitations
There are various pros and cons to using Zoom’s services, which we’ve helpfully outlined for you below.
Highly scalable: Because of Zoom’s flexible plans, you can upgrade your subscription at any time according to the number of patients you see, and the features that you need. This is especially important as a business owner since it is very likely you will face periods of growth and decline and having a platform that can reflect these changes is always welcome.
Easy navigation: Many businesses prefer Zoom, especially in healthcare, because it is easy to use regardless of technical skill. Switching to Zoom makes for an easy transition, and can significantly reduce the amount of time taken to wrap your head around the software. It’s a simple and smooth interface that is excellent for all ages and types of clients.
Compatibility: Zoom can be used on a variety of devices through its app, which makes it ideal for businesses and healthcare where mobiles, PCs, and laptops are all used. You don’t have to commit to one type of device, with Zoom adapting to all forms.
Lack of practice management capabilities: Because Zoom is not a healthcare app designed specifically with clinicians’ needs in mind, there are many areas where it fails to provide. This includes file and document management, online payments, appointment scheduling, medical billing, and coding, as well as EHR system processing. You will inevitably have to look into other software for these functions, which can make things more complicated (and not to mention expensive!).
Lack of definition: Zoom supports 720p video resolution, which for the non-technical, means it supports lower-quality video calls. Usually, this is okay, however, for healthcare where physical assessments or examination of results and images may be required, it’s ideal that video quality is much higher. 1080p minimum is recommended, with 4k being even better.
Expensive: To gain access to professional video features beyond the basic plan, Zoom is vastly more expensive in comparison to other practice management software applications. There are far cheaper alternatives out there that won’t break the bank.
5 Best Zoom Alternatives for Healthcare
To help you out, we’ve scoured the market for the next 5 best alternatives for Zoom, that allow you to carry out video conferences with patients, as well as other valuable practice management features.
Carepatron is one of the main healthcare solutions on the market and is utilized by over 10,000+ health professionals globally. As an all-in-one practice management software, with renowned technology systems, Carepatron balances video conferencing capabilities in addition to the following features:
- Clinical documentation - You can guarantee that your clinical notes meet high standards by using voice-to-text transcription services, as well as a wide range of templates, tools, and storage. Keep all your notes in one place, and accessible across a variety of devices
- Appointment scheduling - Manage all your patient appointments without fuss. With Carepatron’s appointment scheduling, you can operate on your own schedule, and fit in as many patients as possible.
- Appointment reminders: No-shows are frustrating, not to mention immensely costly. Reduce no-shows by up to 99% by having automated reminders in your practice.
- Billing and coding: Receive faster reimbursements, with automated invoices generated instantly, and in response to accurate coding standards. You can process claims at a much higher rate, and earn every cent you deserve.
There are a multitude of other sophisticated features integrated within Carepatron’s intuitive system. Some of these include the following:
- Patient portal
- Online payments
- Messaging channels
- Template and resource library
- 24/7 customer support
- Device compatibility
Why use Carepatron?
Using Carepatron can result in far more accurate note taking services, in addition to more efficient business operations. You can streamline your workflow, and increase clinical outcomes and fluency without cutting corners. Using communication channels, you can also work to continually develop meaningful relationships with clients, which is always welcome within healthcare. Work smarter, and incorporate Carepatron’s software to receive unparalleled insight in regard to the growth and longevity of your health business.
Carepatron offers several different plans at low prices:
- Starter: Free Plan
- Professional: $12 per user/month
- Organization: $19 per user/month
Get started with Carepatron now 🎉
Well-known within the therapy realm, TheraNest offers high-quality healthcare solutions through its various features, including video conferencing. Using established software, TheraNest promotes business growth through:
- Clinical documentation and storage
- Medical billing
- Medical coding
- Appointment scheduling
- Client portal
- Specialized - TheraNest is a great option for those within the mental health industry, which makes for a highly specialized option for those who share similar needs. The platform is tailored exactly for this target.
- Intuitive interface - It’s smooth and easy to use, regardless of your technical skill, which is especially important to save time.
- Scheduling issues - User reports point towards some scheduling flaws, which can make the system difficult to work with. It’s outdated in parts, which is troubling when acknowledging other applications that work with much newer technology.
Pricing for TheraNest is as follows:
- $39 monthly for under 30 clients
- $60 monthly for under 50 clients
- $91 monthly for under 80 clients
Trusted by clinicians worldwide, Doxy.me is a game changer for many within the healthcare industry. It allows practitioners to carry out high-quality telemedicine solutions, and engage patients on a meaningful level to work towards effective treatment. They offer many features, including:
- Live chat
- Waiting room
- Mobile health
- HIPAA compliance
- High-quality video - As an excellent alternative to Zoom, Doxy.me provides a high-quality video chat with valuable features such as a waiting room, and a patient queue. You can execute high control over your patients, as well as view a high video resolution.
- HIPAA compliance - You can rest easy knowing your information and data are in good hands, with Doxy.me prioritizing encryption and security measures to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Small scope - Doxy.me succeeds at communication, however, there are many practice management features that it is lacking. This includes online payments, documentation production and storage, as well as resource libraries.
- Free plan
- Professional plan from $28 per month
- Clinic plan from $39 per month
A popular practice management software and EMR platform, Practice Perfect is a great way to streamline your workflows and promote higher efficiency in your practice. They offer many developed features, including:
- Clinical documentation and storage
- Appointment scheduling
- Appointment reminders
- Patient profiles
- Operational analytics and insights
- Customizable interface - Most features can be tailored to meet your unique needs, which also makes for a super scalable platform!
- Easy navigation - Practice Perfect implements a smooth interface to ensure that it increases your interoperability, and can perform at a high level no matter the data load.
- Web-browser-based - This application is only available on the web, which can be very inconvenient to load. Mobile applications are far more intuitive and seamless to use and can manage data more efficiently.
- Costly - This platform is one of the more expensive options out there, which can make it difficult to justify its use.
The software is $180 USD per month for 4 users, with each additional user costing $15 USD. If you would like additional locations, this is an extra $130 USD per month.
Finally, another highly regarded platform is Simple Practice, which can help boost productivity and increase patient engagement in your practice. The platform can leverage your strengths, and work towards growing your clientele, as well as achieving long-term healthcare goals for both you and your patients. Some of their features include:
- Appointment scheduling
- Medical coding
- Clinical documentation
- HIPAA compliant - Simple Practice cares about your security, and as a HITRUST-certified system, all your data is guaranteed to be kept private and secure. This is so important, especially in today’s growing technological landscape!
- Free trial - Simple Practice offers a free trial, meaning you can experience all they have to offer without locking into any prices. It’s a good way to test the waters, and evaluate if their software is right for you.
- Outdated technology - Simple Practice has been around for a while, and due to the increasing market demands, other applications have now developed more seamless functions that may further benefit your clinic.
- Lacking support - While Simple Practice has many helpful resources, it can be difficult to connect with specialists who can help guide you through the use of their services if challenges arise.
Simple Practice has three core pricing plans:
- Starter: $29/month
- Essential: $69/month
- Plus: $99/month
We hope that our guide to Zoom and its alternatives has provided you with some viable choices to consider; especially in a market this overwhelming. While Zoom is a fine choice, it does have several drawbacks, including that it does not touch on many significant healthcare capabilities that health platforms should support.
Carepatron makes for an excellent option, as it uses a streamlined approach to optimize your workflow, increase efficiency, and allow you to do what you do best. It’s inexpensive and is designed in collaboration with healthcare professionals, so all your needs can be met with ease. You can rest easy knowing you’re in good hands, with HIPAA compliance and security measures working round the clock to protect your business and the longevity of your practice.
We acknowledge that choosing a healthcare management system can be difficult, but hopefully you’re now more informed to make the right decision and find what works best for you. We look forward to seeing what you achieve!
- Best Theranest alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Counsol alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Therapy Notes alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Nookal alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best My Clients Plus alternatives (features and pricing)
- Best Halaxy alternatives (features and pricing)